Friday, March 20, 2009

Piggy Bank

Last week, my Hon was craving for pizza as usual so we headed to Shakey's Makati Ave to get one, of course pizza for him and Greek Salad for me. While we were waiting for our order, an old beggar was waving at the glass door outside and selling his piggy bank. He really looked old and weak and it was heartbreaking to see him beg while people inside were feasting. I do have the heart for old beggars and would rather give them a dime than those annoying children sniffing rugby on the streets. I remember way back in College when I was driving along Osmena highway on my way to school, when a kid banged my window and aggressively asked for 20 pesos, hello?! There was no way I would give in to that behavior so I signaled 'NO' when all of a sudden, lo and behold! a spit came out flying to my direction. Good thing, I had my windows up. So beware of flying spit!

So back to the old man, I wanted to buy that piggy bank from him to somehow help. Besides, I've wanted a piggy bank ever since I was a child but never had one, I think it's cute. Hon was facing away from him and was asking me the whole time if he was still there since he wanted to give some money too. There were also 3 other people, 2 girls and a guy, on the other table who could see the beggar so I overheard the other girl asking her guy friend to go outside to buy from him. They got the big pig for 110 pesos. I thought it was kind of pricey though. On our way out of the resto, I was ready to buy already from the beggar. As expected, he approached us and sold one happy pig. Up close, the old man looked like he had a disease on his left leg and a cataract. Tsk tsk! At least, he was happy he had two piggy banks sold within 30 minutes. I am happy too with my purchase, it's ccuuuttteeeee!

1 comment: